When looking to increase business from a website we often think in terms of increasing traffic. But increasing traffic may not be the answer. It is easier to increase your website conversions than to increase traffic.
Conversions and Conversion Rates
A conversion is the act of a website visitor performing a measured goal on your website. A conversion can be a sale, inquiry form completion, quote request completion, newsletter sign-up, white paper down load, etc. The conversion rate is the number of people who have completed a measurable action divided by the total number of website visitors. For example, if 1,000 people visited your web site and 15 people completed your inquiry form, then the conversion rate would be 1.5%. You can set up Google Conversion Tracking in your Google Analytics. Conversion rates are the ideal way to measure how your website is performing.
10 Tips and Strategies to Get You Started
- Your site must be mobile friendly. 30% will be viewing your website on a mobile device. Test your site at http://google.com/webmasters/
tools/mobile-friendly. If it does not pass the test you need to take action.
- Create a Compelling Value Proposition
- Don’t waste your home page value space on “Welcome” or irrelevant images.
- Answer the question “Why buy” and “What’s in it for me”.
- This takes a lot of thought – think in terms of Newspaper headlines
- Obvious, but worth mentioning, your phone number should be prominent in both header and footer.
- Increase Trust
- Third party citations, testimonials, articles published.
- Member organizations
- Photos that convey trust and expertise, team pictures, location photos, awards, etc.
- Current content – no old news
- Credibility symbols, licenses, certifications, reseller, authorized dealer, etc.
- Remove Clutter and Remove Distractions
- You want to keep website visitors focused on a single action (conversion).
- You might want to eliminate some pages.
- Review Google Analytics Behavior – Site Content reports and remove pages that are not engaging and viewed.
- Be clear and concise and remove images without meaning.
- Focus on Fast Readability
- Everyone is so busy – display page content in easy to read format with headings, sub-heads and bulleted lists.
- Use headlines, sub-heads and bulleted lists
- Craft a Well Written About Us Page
- About Us is one of the most important and most read pages.
- Share client challenges, trends, market expertise, process
- Awards and accolades
- Testimonials, pictures add a personal touch
- If You Serve a Local Geography
- According to Google 73% of all searches have local intent
- Make sure on your home page the geography that you service is clearly displayed.
- Social media integration
- Engage your network in social media- but bring them back to your website.
- Building your brand and your content on your own domain increases exposure and search engine ranking.
- Put the tease copy on Facebook – “Learn the 5 secrets to”, “Get 10% OFF”, “Get the Code”, etc and then let them click to get the info on your website.
- Purposeful Design
- Use of negative or white space around objects or buttons focus attention
- Big buttons for action items or goals
- Limit choices
- Placing the most important content above the fold (no scrolling)
Now it’s time to take action. First, make sure you have Google Conversion Tracking set up on your website. Select two or three items from the list and start making changes that will have long lasting impact. Too busy? Let BZA assist you.